Sunday, January 29, 2012

DIY Skylander Storage Solution

As I mentioned before, we are techno geeks and with that we have tons of cords and games to conceal to improve the overall look of our home.  Games are typically managable and easily stored on the shelf but in this case my husband and my little ball of energy found a game Skylanders that requires figurenes to play and lots of them if you wanna maximize the quality of your experiance!  This is all fine and well, except the fact that they look aweful sitting out in the living room.  I thought seriously about throwing them out while they were asleep but well.... I can't do that now can I... 

This inspired my first project.  I had an old photo box that my little one colored all over and it was in pretty bad shape.  I thought before throwing it out I would give it a make over.  So, here's what I did. 

Homemade Skylanders Storage Solution:

I am on a budget so I made some homemade modge podge.  It works great and if you've never tried it, here's how you make it.  You will need to a jar of some kind.  I used an old Prego jar.  The mix: 1 part Elmer's Glue and 1 part water.  Close the lid and shake, shake, shake!  Now you have your homemade modge podge.  :)  Yep, it's that simple. 

If I can do it, anyone can.

I picked up 4 sheets of 10x10 scrapbook paper from Michaels while I was in town.  They are very cheap.  I picked mine up when they were on sale for 4/$1.00. 

 Now that I have my modge podge, my old photo box and my 4 sheets of paper I'm all set to get started on my project!

Items that you will need:

1 old box ( I used an old photo box)
1 pair of scissors
Modge Podge ( I made my own)
4 Sheets of 10x10 scrapbook paper or you could use fabric  $1.00
Foam brush (I had one in the garage)

Total Cost: $1.00



I measured and cut my scrapbook paper to ensure that the entire box would be covered.  This will require you to cut each corner at an angle to ensure that you can fold over the top of the box and cover the inside as well. 

Here are my cut sheets:


One by one I flipped the paper over and applied a coat of modge podge to the back of the paper and applied it to the box.  I repeated the process until I had each piece placed.  I had to push out any air bubbles.  When this was complete, I simply waited until the box dried to get the finished product.

Hindsight:
I would have sprayed a coat of primer over my daughters drawings on the photo box!  It blead through and because this was my first time and my total investment was $1.00.  I'll count it as lesson learned!

Here's what I started with:


This is the my how it looks right now:


This is going to be a temporary solution for now.  If you look closely, you can see that due to the lack of priming the box the marker is showing through a little.  Overall, I would say success.  I learned a lesson and all the little Skylanders are out of sight when they are not in use!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home